Friday, June 19, 2009

First came Finnigan, then came Rosie

Finnigan came into the Richmond City Shelter not long after RAPS took over. He was in terrible condition with huge mats all over his body (it was like shearing a sheep to get them off), terrible teeth, very long nails, and on top of all that he wasn't neutered. I fell in love immediately.

When I first got him he was scared of everything. He came out of his shell with time, patience and persistence. He learned how to play and that trusting someone was good. I enjoyed helping him and watching him come out of his shell. All of the small accomplishments that added up to big ones making him the wonderful companion he was.

I work at the RAPS Sanctuary where I do the evening medications as well as some of the daily care needed when the volunteers aren't able to come out for their shifts. We have about 800 cats in total. Finnigan used to come to work with me everyday and he'd alternate between being on the floor with the cats and being in his "bucket"- a pouch I would wear for him to ride in. The cats tended to ignore him (and he them) mostly, I think, because he was so quiet and nonchalant around them.


Finnigan was diagnosed with congestive heart failure in April of 2008 and my vet did not expect him to live long but was willing to put him on medication to try and help him have more time. Finny did amazingly well on the meds and had good quality of life until March of this year when we discovered that he had developed kidney failure secondary to the heart failure. He rallied for 4 days before letting me know it was time. He left a huge hole in my heart and my life. We had two wonderful years together where he taught me of the wonders of unconditional love.

After Finnigan died I knew I needed to get another dog very quickly- not to replace him as there will never be another dog like him but to help heal my heart and fill that huge hole in my life. I searched different shelters all over Metro Vancouver for more than a month before Rosie was surrendered into RAPS' care. The minute I saw her I knew she was the one and when I went into the room with her she must have known it too as she came and sat in my lap after playing shy for a few moments. She has been a true delight. At 10 months old, she still requires some house and obedience training but we are well on our way with both of those things. She is always smiling and bounding around. She loves her squeaky toys- so much that she will lay there and squeak and squeak and squeak. She doesn't care if it's two in the afternoon or two in the morning!

Rosie comes to work with me just like Finnigan did and is not fazed by the cats at all. The cats pretty much ignore her, though she has been swatted a few times when she gets too close but that doesn't bother her in the least. Everyone has fallen in love with her and when we arrive at work I hear choruses of "Hi Rosie!" everywhere we go. I am so grateful to have her in my life.