Saturday, June 6, 2009

Dexter goes home! and sleeps in the Shower!

Dexter is a Labrador cross who was found in Steveston almost starved to death. He’s had a particularly hard time recovering from his starvation; possibly because it was long term and he required significant medical care. However, Dexter is about the friendliest dog in the world who has now been adopted to the friendliest family in the world. They are a perfect match! Here are the updates from Dexter:

-----------
A letter from Dexter’s new family
Guess who came home today? I called the Richmond Shelter after school and told the staff to get Dexter to start packing his things. He was coming home! The reply was "He has already got his stuff packed Kristi. He is SO ready to go home with you guys!"

So how did the introductions go? Katie is SO happy to have her new buddy. Dexter played and played and played with Katie. He loved all the things to sniff and piddle on in the backyard. Katie just ran circles about the poor lad, but he loved being able to play and play and play.

So Katie is happy, what about Peanut? Mr. Peanut approves of Dexter too. Yes, the wiener dog stamp of approval was given. Sylvester, the cat, just thinks another dopey mutt has shown up and needs to be taught the hierarchery of this place. Sylvester will soon show that new guy who is the boss!

We had a lovely dinner of BBQ hamburgers and corn on the patio, while all the dogs played and played. I think poor Dexter will pass out tonight. I sure hope so because we need to learn to NOT piddle in the house. I am mighty thankful for the good weather right now! We haven't heard him bark yet either. Our evening walk took extra long because all the neighbours had to welcome Dexter to the neighbour. That crazy tail was wagging NON stop! I think Katie is the happiest one of all of us: she has a new best friend.

--------
Hi to all the folks at RAPS! This is the letter that I sent out this morning to all our family and friends.

Talk about a smart dog, a very smart dog. Dexter made a key move last night, and won over Matt. Yes, Dexter hung out with Matt and watched TV outside in the Taj Mahal. True male bonding! It was wonderful to see such a happy, happy dog. His tail has not stopped wagging! It's a heck of a monstrous tail - so I'm glad the house is still "Charlie proof". Yes, I must admit that Charlie (bless that old dog --- the Port Hope Shelter's finest mutt!!) had a huge impact on the way this place is set up - so toddlers and any and all goofy hounds feel right at home!

Even Sylvester, the cat, is managing our newest resident. Now Dexter needs to improve his stair climbing abilities. Although it is so dear to see such concentration going into each step as the mile long tail wags and wags.

Oh yes, we have been discussing names. Matt likes the idea of the name "Cobi", which is short for Coboconk where I first worked. I think it's a girl's name. So we may compromise and give the name Cody. One problem - my other EA that I work with is, you guessed it, Cody! So I will ask the person Cody about using that name. Do people get upset if your name is used for a dog?

Bethy wants the name Oscar! I am happy with almost anything --- and even happier if I don't get whipped by that tail! Anyway, things are going very, very well. Yours truly wasn't thrilled about the 4:30 wake-up call by Katie and Dexter. They wanted to go outside and play. Of course, I couldn't get back to sleep afterwards. Stay tuned for more Dexter updates. We are just so happy with our new guy.

-------

Another wonderful Dexter story from Dexter’s new family written to RAPS…

I woke up last night around 2:11 and the wind had REALLY picked up. I had left all the windows open and my screen door to the balcony (off the master bedroom). I was certain that a storm was brewing, so I raced around closing the windows. Peanut, the wiener dog, never moved a muscle because he was comfy in his bed. I jumped up and instantly Katie (my Border Collie) was at my side 'helping' close the windows. A thought occurred to me. Where was Dexter? He's usually right there for an adventure and a pat.

That started a search for Dexter. I checked the kid's room. No Dexter. The basement? No Dexter.
Want to know where I did find him? Fast asleep in the shower. That big guy was snoring away on the cool floor of our shower. I just dissolved into giggles. Man, oh man, that boy sure fits in around here!!!