Thursday, January 13, 2011

Letter from a Concerned RAPS Volunteer


I have very recently read an article about the RAPS animal shelter losing its contract. This is something that I can never see happening. I am 10 years old and I have been volunteering at RAPS with my mom for the past 3 years. I have grown to love the animals and workers there. They are like family! I have feline friends who, if RAPS was a Kill shelter, wouldn't survive for very long! They may be sick, scared, unfriendly, or any other situation, but that doesn't mean they don't deserve a second chance at a better life, with a family that loves them.

The question might be "Should they keep their contract?" But I have the answer, and the answer is "Definitely!!" How can there be love in a shelter that kills.
Have you ever had a family pet? One that you loved dearly. One that you could not imagine dying. Think about that. Don't forget about the animals who love so unconditionally.

RAPS has had their share of disappointments, don't give them another. I think that everyone should get to find out that RAPS isn't just a program that just cares for animals and educates the public. They are a group of people who love the animals they care for. They have proven that they love every animal that comes in and they work hard to ensure all animals go to their perfect home. The dedicated staff and volunteers put in the time and effort to care for and love the animals, now it's our turn to care for the shelter and all the hard work they do to keep Richmond stray-free!!

Hopeful Volunteer of Raps,
Claire Hull

* Related Richmonds News Article