Thursday, March 31, 2011

Izzy (formerly Kesha)

My wife and I went out kitten hunting in March of last year, looking for a fairly young male multi-coloured kitten (to a maximum of about 2 years old). Well, that’s certainly not what we ended up with.

When we first saw Izzy (formerly “Kesha” in her old life, now “Isabella” as a full name) she was 9 years old, having spent the prior year at the RAPS shelter. Izzy, a beautiful female cat with a pure black sleek coat except for a small white crest on her chest, took one look at my wife when we entered the RAPS shelter, crawled into my wife’s lap, held on tightly and basically announced that we were hers.

When we first got Izzy home, you’d never seen a happier little furball. It’s as if she couldn’t believe her luck. She started purring happily and pretty much hasn’t stopped yet. She’s the nicest little cat, never scratches or bites, is incredibly loving, and basically spends a large part of her day going from my wife to me and back again for strokes and hugs. She loves to “talk” about whatever she’s doing; for example, she announces when she is about to use the litter box, then afterward she cleans it carefully and calls me over to inspect it and give it a further scooping under her careful supervision. When other people come to our home Izzy usually sits close by or follows and rubs up against our guest, purring and hoping for more strokes. She’s got almost 3,000 square feet to play in, and she explores every inch of it.

When she’s especially happy Izzy rolls over on her back, looking for tummy rubs (one of her favourite things). She loves to be combed or brushed.

At night, Izzy starts off by sleeping on my wife (who goes to bed earlier than I do), but when I come to bed she mews a couple times until I lift the covers, then she dives under the blanket, snuggles up to me and sleeps with my arm around her. Izzy eats surprisingly little (we free-feed), but is clearly happy and healthy. The vet has pronounced her very healthy, and a real “prize”.

I’ve attached a picture of our happy little Izzy in her new “forever home”. It’s almost impossible to take pictures of Izzy; when you point a camera at her she runs over to it, thinking it is something to play with.

Thank you, RAPS, for our new family member.

Philip