Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Paul

Hi, my name is Paul. I was adopted on August 30th, 2009 from RAPS, Richmond Animal Protection Shelter in BC.

I had been told that my adoptive family had been looking for an addition to their family for quite some time. They had searched the internet extensively and been to numerous foster homes, looking for just the right dog. One day they heard there was a very nice black Lab that needed a forever home and they decided to go have a look see. The Lab was sweet, but as they were looking around, they came across the kennel where I and 8 other new arrivals were housed. This is where my life changed. The mom sat on the floor in the middle of the kennel and embraced all of us! As there was incredible competition for her attention, I chose to play it cool and stay out of the fracas. It was probably a very good decision, as when the dad picked me up we bonded immediately! I watched from my vantage point in dad's arms and saw that Wriggles was playing favourites with the mom and she was buying it. Dad set me down and I sauntered over to steal her attention. I actually chose to be a little stand offish and didn't get all wrapped up in that licking and puppy biting stuff, thinking maybe I could make a better impact by being different. But Mom kept going back to Wriggley!

Mom asked Dad, “What do you think”? Dad replied that they had to consider a few things about their home situation. They talked about Grandma and Sasha and someone named Riley. He sounded important. This Riley person wanted a Pitbull, or a Bulldog or some other big dog that looked meaty. I looked around and thought, we are Schnoodles, will we grow up to be big, handsome and tough?

The Mom and Dad t talked about personalities, energy levels and size. I was starting to get very nervous. Mom said, “I like Wriggly, he is so cute and energetic and fun”! Dad thought he may be too energetic for our home. Then, Dad said the words I was waiting to hear, “I think this little guy would be my choice. He is calm, he seems to thrive on just being held, he doesn't fight for it, he just accepts it and soaks it in.” More talking and then mom said, let me hold him again for a while. That’s when I really laid it on thick. I laid there and let her stroke me and although I was so excited that I wanted to pee in her lap, I held my composure and just let her love me. Then…what’s going on……the whole thing was over, they were leaving and not one of us was leaving with them. Did I make a mistake? Should I have licked her, nibbled her, fought for her attention? Maybe, I should have peed. That would have got her attention! But, they just disappeared! We were all alone once again and I was sad and disappointed. I was struggling with the thought that 2 of my siblings had already been chosen and would be going to a new home soon and I might be stuck here forever or, I might be adopted by someone who had a toddler and have to worry about having my ears or my tail pulled, my eyes poked, chased continuously or hit with toys, I began to tremble. I went back to my blankie and lay down thinking, what have I done to deserve this? Why did my real parents put us into a box and just abandon us? Am I not worthy of someone’s affection, am I ugly, do I appear to be mean, what is it? I lay there with those awful thoughts and soon I nodded off.

Suddenly I was awakened by the sound of the door opening, I leapt to my feet hoping they came back! No, it was just one of my regular caregivers, probably coming to feed us or fill up our water dishes. Hey, why are you picking me up? What did I do? Where are you taking me? Why am I on the outside and, hey, I have to say, it is big out here, there is a lot to see, a lot of different smells and people, look at all the people! I don't care where you are taking me, I just want to stay on the outside! No more steel bars, no more peed on blankies, freedom - just freedom. That is all I care about right now! And then I saw them! Those nice people that were with us a while ago were back and that lady had her arms out and said my name, "Paul". She snuggled me and cuddled me and stroked me and said welcome! You are coming home with us, you are now part of our family – forever! I looked at my new dad and saw the smile as he repeated my name, "Paul". Who names a dog "Paul"? he said. I like it, but who names a dog "Paul"? He was still smiling, oh boy, was he smiling!

Once all of my adoption papers were signed, it was time for the second and most important car ride of my life. Home. Where I am going to live and be loved. It was time to meet the rest of my new family. I was still nervous because I had to make a good impression on that Riley guy. I had to win him over right away. After all, I am a Schnoodle, not what he was hoping for, not what he expected. I am simply me, “Paul”. The door opened, and there he was, looking at me in wonderment and then I heard him say, what is that? "Paul"! This is "Paul" our new family member! Your new brother! WOW, I have a human brother already, this is incredible! "Paul" what kind of a name is "Paul"? I was handed over to him and I knew the way he held me, I was home! He didn’t need much convincing. Turns out it I am very easy to love after all. Everybody loves me. Everybody loves Paul. Wow. And that is how I came to my very own forever family… and in the end…

"Paul's Your Dog!”