Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Izzy: "you'd never seen a happier little furrball"

Good morning, Carol and the rest of the group at RAPS: I thought I'd give you an update on how Kesha is doing since we picked her up a week ago. First of all, we've renamed her "Izzy", which is short for Isabella. She doesn't answer to Kesha (or anything else), so we thought it would be okay to change her name.

When we first got Izzy home, you'd never seen a happier little furrball. It's as if she couldn't believe her luck. She started purring (in a happy way) and pretty much hasn't stopped yet. She's the nicest little cat, never scratches or bites, is incredibly loving, and basically spends a large part of her day going from me to Marguerite for strokes and hugs. From the very first she used the litter box (right after I pointed it out to her) and knows where to find her food and water. Smart cat. When other people come to our home, rather than being frightened she usually sits close by or following our guest, purring and hoping for more strokes. She's got almost 3,000 square feet to play in, and she explores every inch of it.

When she's especially happy she rolls over on her back, looking for tummy rubs (one
of her favourite things). At night, Izzy starts off by sleeping on Marguerite (who goes to bed earlier than I do), but when I come to bed she mews a couple times until I lift the covers, then she dives under the blanket, snuggles up to me and sleeps with my arm around her. Izzy eats surprisingly little (we free-feed), but is clearly happy and healthy. I took her for her first vet checkup on Thursday and the vet pronounced her very healthy, and a real "prize". She was surprised Izzy had spent ten months in a shelter before someone adopted her.

I've attached a couple pictures of Izzy in her new "forever home". It's almost impossible to take pictures of Izzy; when you point a camera at her she runs over to it, thinking it is something to play with. I know you were very surprised we were willing to take a 10-year old black cat. I just want you to know what a wonderful decision it was to do so.

My best regards, and thank you, ~Philip