Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tracy and Bear

Hi RAPS,
I wanted to take the time to send you an email regarding my dog Bear that I got from you almost a year ago. He is a five year old maltese cross. He was surrendered because his owner was going into a home for medical reasons. I just happened to be at your shelter when Bear was being surrendered and didn't go there with any intentions of getting a dog. Bear is a wonderful dog that has made me very happy. He greets me every morning and makes my heart melt. We have quite a simple routine everyday and Bear appears to be very content. He is a very easy dog to take care of. He doesn't play alot but is very content sitting beside me on the couch watching tv or sitting on the chair by the computer. We go for a walk every morning rain or shine and Bear loves it. When I got him I was told Bear doesn't like walks or the car. We have conquered the walks but still have problems in the car. He shakes and pants terribly in the car and then throws up. I take a bowl in the car with us and it minimizes the mess. This spring we are going to work on the car riding.
I was also told the Bear didn't like dogfood and would only eat people food. The girl at your shelter told me I would need to change that in order to keep Bear healthy. After trying every kind of dog food and even making his food he now eats the raw meat dog food Blue Dog Red Cat beef and tripe. He loves it. Eating is no longer a challenge, but rather a totally positive experience.
When I first brought Bear home every little noise made him jump. Opening a can of coke with the pull tab would terrify him and he would jump off of the couch and go under the coffee table. So whenever there were multiple cans being opened, we would all do it at the same time to minimize the sound effect to one noise. Now when I open a can of coke Bear doesn't even flinch.
I have found that having a dog does take comittment even if they are not a high maintenance breed. Whenever I am out I am always wondering what Bear is doing. Nine times out of ten Bear is having a nice quiet sleep when I am out, and I can tell because of the way his ears are and because of his stretching when I get home. He didn't wag his tail or bark when I first got him. Now I can get him to wag his tail whenever I want, its nice to see. He still doesn't really bark very much, only if someone comes in or if there is a knock at the door.
When I take Bear to the groomers to get clipped I miss him terribly and keep the phone close to me waiting for the call that he is ready to be picked up. The house just doesn't seem the same if he is not here. Bear has no bad habits and has only ever had one accident in the house and it wasn't his fault.
He is an awesome, well behaved dog and I can take him to anyone's house with no worries. Bear is an amazing friend and I just love him. Thanks for hooking me and Bear up. ~ Tracy