Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Foster Grandmother Update

by Margaret Leathley

Margaret and her husband fostered a pregnant cat while it gave birth. This is an update on those precious cats.

Our time as foster parents ended on April 9th when we took Dixie and her baby, Taz, back to the shelter to be adopted. Our old cat just wasn’t adapting to having them around, and since she is our baby, she needed to come first. We knew this might happen. Still I wasn’t prepared to given them up.

Taz was not a happy camper after being taken from her home to a cage with lots of noise and faces around. She hissed and cried and would not let anyone near her. I was upset and cried because I thought I’d scarred her for life. I visited the pair everyday and after a few days Taz finally came around. She even purred for the first time, which made me cry even more. My wish was for them to be adopted together, but then a loving family came into the shelter and fell in love with Taz. Shortly thereafter, Taz went to her new home in Coverdale!

As for Dixie (the mom), she is about the sweetest cat I’ve ever known. She is such a mellow girl. She loves to watch the outside world and is happy to have a place up high from which to watch it. When I went to visit her this past weekend, I got the news that she had been adopted. This meant that my wish had come true - that both our wards went to loving homes and families. Fostering was a great experience and while it was tough to see them go back to the shelter, I’d do it again in a heart beat!