Sunday, March 29, 2009

Bonnie's Furry Family

A lovely letter from Bonnie McQueen about her adopted feline family.

I recently adopted Rusty (Garfield Bd Oct. 2007) from RAPS @No. 5 Rd in Steveston on March 4th. Rusty has settled in very well, his two brothers and sister have welcomed him with open Paws. Rusty is quite comical, playful, affectionate. I really love this little boy. Rusty's brother Dugie ( Bd May 2004 Rules No. 6 RD) joined the McQueen Family two years ago March 30-07. Dugie is named after my Grandfather Dugald on my father's side. My Mum was still with us then (I will enclose some pictures). Mum used to come to the shelter with me on Wednesday nights. Mum really enjoyed herself. Dugie has hours of fun playing " Paw Hockey" with Rusty, the two boys are only three years apart.
Sister Missy didn't come from the shelter but shall I say I kept her from going to the shelter.
Her owner was moving out of the country so I adopted her in August 2005 (Bd Dec.01 2000).
Missy likes her siblings all right but she is the "Boss." She keeps The Boys in Tow.
They can sleep with her on the beds or sofas but remember one important point: do not get in her space or fur will fly. Missy is named after my Grandmother Elsie whom was nicknamed
Missy on my father's side.
The oldest Resident is Georgie (Tia Maria Bd Nov 13 1999). Georgie is named after
my dad George. Georgie joined the McQueen's Nov. 2003. Georgie is my greeter. He makes everyone in the animal world feel at home. Georgie first bravely starts by giving kisses and nose rubs and then as the new cats are exploring the condo, Georgie is not far behind making sure they are safe. Animals are amazingly smart.
When Georgie came to live with me in Nov 2003, I already had Carl (Carol Reichert's cat)
whom I adopted Feb. 2003. Carl was the family greeter at that time. When Georgie first arrived he was quite shy and fearful of the unknown, so Georgie ran under the bed and to my surprise Carl ran after him and the two were arm in arm under the bed side by side.
Unfortunately I do not have a picture of this. Carl and Georgie became fast friends.
In fact my Mum, Dad and I could tell the time according to Georgie and Carl as at
precisley 7:00 PM every night, the two fellows would walk side by side throughout the condo and later at my parents house. They would usually make at least two or three rounds.
My parents and I would always laugh as it was so precious. Carl passed away of Leukemia January 2005, but at least Carl and I had two lovely years together.